Time to read
6 minutes
Read so far

Cambridge Council hears discussion on development at Harvest Meadows

Posted in:
Body

The Cambridge City Council opened the October 5, 2020 meeting with a public hearing on the Conditional Use Permit submitted by Alan Koerperich for the Harvest Meadows addition. Mayor David Gunderson said the Public Hearing must be held 14 days after the original hearing date, and the City Council Meeting was only 12 days out, so a second Public Hearing would be held at the October 19, 2020 Regular City Council Meeting. Because citizens were present at the meeting, Mayor Gunderson said they could make their comments.

Morgan Farquhar, resident at Harvest Meadows, did emphasize the need for the 14 days between hearings, and asked the Council for public input at the meeting on October 19, 2020. Morgan Farquhar also had a petition signed by the residents at Harvest Meadows who are against the Conditional Use Permit in question. Because of this, the Council will have to have a super majority or 5 out of the 6 members voting to pass the Conditional Use Permit for the permit to pass. Farquhar asked the Council to consider that the rules of the Conditional Use Permit had not been followed as the project had been started before approval. He also said certain facts should have been considered by the Planning Commission including traffic issues, safety issues and the decrease in value of the current residential lots before the permit should be issued.

Farquhar also noted he did not believe the grant offered by the Economic Development committee for the business should have been approved. He said a grant should be eligible to any business rather than just offered to certain businesses.

Dow Newcomb, another resident at Harvest Meadows, said he would like to see a business that matches the neighborhood more in the area being considered for the Conditional Use Permit. He said the size of the project could overwhelm the residential area and that there was more land available to build such a big building in other areas.

Sally Farquhar, Harvest Meadows resident, presented the Council members with the Ordinance that pertains to the Conditional Use Permit. She said the ordinance has been violated during the building. The Ordinance states 7 requirements and the builder does not meet all the requirements. She also reminded the Council that the Planning Commission and the City Council are safeguards to make sure no one imposes on the other residents in the area.

Alan Koerperich respond to the comments by saying the dirt work that has been started was because the contractor had begun moving dirt for his residence, and he had them do the dirt work at the site to save some time and money.

Darcy Johnson was present and asked Council Members if the history of the project would be discussed at the next meeting. Mayor Gunderson said he was unsure of what would be presented during the hearing at the next meeting.

Newcomb asked about the other commercial lots available and discussion was held about the street expansion to make those lots accessible. Morgan Farquhar noted the expansion of the street is not the issue, the rights of the people who already live there should not be superseded. Sally Farquhar noted that Ordinance is not meant to be arbitrary.

Mayor Gunderson closed the Public Hearing at 6:46 pm. The next public hearing for the Conditional Use Permit will be October 19, 2020 at 6:30 pm.

Ashley Gerlach was present from the Nebraska Department of Economic Development to award Cambridge with the Leadership Certified Community Recertification Award. The city originally received the award in 2015 and has to renew the certification every 5 years. The application submitted has been approved and Cambridge was congratulated for their collaboration, use of strategic plans, community zoning, local businesses, and their web presence. The committee also congratulated the city for using grant funds for projects like updating the swimming pool. Cambridge was also commended for their aggressiveness and progressiveness in development. Gerlach offered the city her congratulations and thanked Council members for their public service.

Melissa Jackson also commented that you don’t realize how many good things are happening until you see the complete report. She also offered a big thank you to those who worked on getting the report put together. Mayor Gunderson echoed Jackson in thanking all those who worked to get the report together.

Next on the agenda was discussion of the Swimming Pool Project. City Attorney Lisa Shifflet said she had done some research on the request made by the contractor to wait until May of June to get a bond for the project. She said her contacts said it should not be a big deal for the contractor to wait until the project gets closer. Discussion was held about liability for damage or theft of materials the contractor may store at the site. It was decided the contractor’s insurance would cover any loss. A motion was made and seconded to allow the contractor to wait on getting bonded until the project gets closer. The motion passed. Harvest Meadows street

Harvest Meadows street extension was discussed next. Miller & Associates provided Council with a 1-year and 6-year plan for the streets at Harvest Meadows. The 1-year plan would consist of finishing Prairie View Drive north to connect to Wheat Ridge Drive. This would include paving the street and providing sewer and water for the lots. The cost of this project would be approximately $1,026,699.00. The 6-year plan would include finishing the remainder of Wheat Ridge Drive to Road 410 as well as a cul-de-sac for residential properties. This project was estimated at approximately $1,425,000.00 and would including paving the street and sewer and water for undeveloped lots.

Morgan Farquhar noted that the residential lots north of Wheat Ridge Drive are too small and it would be good for Council to look at possibly making the lots larger in the area before they do anything with the streets. Dow Newcomb agreed. Discussion was held about the lot sizes as well as the original design of the streets in the area. Mayor Gunderson explained the history of the project. Morgan Farquhar asked if thought had been given to have more separation between residential and commercial areas. More discussion was held and it was decided to call Miller & Associates and ask about making the lots larger and possibly swapping lot sizes in commercial areas.

Council Member Jeff Ommert asked City Clerk Kandra Kinne how much money the city could put into the project. Kinne reported there was approximately a million to spend on the project.

In the Economic Development report, Melissa Jackson said she was working on an annual report. None had been completed since 2017. She said she hopes to have it completed in October. Jackson also reported the $86,000 was given to local businesses throughout he gift card incentive program, but she is still concerned for the small businesses in the area. She said they might have to come up with something more to support local businesses during these tough times. She also reported there had been some interest in new builds and purchasing homes at Harvest Meadows.

Dow Newcomb then asked Council to hear his public comments in regards to purchasing the empty lot next to his house. He asked what he had done wrong to have his request denied to purchase the lot. Mayor Gunderson said he had done nothing wrong, but that circumstances had changed. Gunderson said the City would receive more money if a house was built on the lot rather than a workshop. He also mentioned the City would be missing out of 4 years of TIF money.

Morgan Farquhar noted Council should check with a lawyer on the TIF funds. Mayor Gunderson said they had contacted a TIF attorney on the matter.

Newcomb asked the Council to reconsider as the lot is too small to allow him access to his back yard and there is no alley present. He said he understood he would have to pay for the lot as would not receive the building incentive. Mayor Gunderson said the Council had already voted to deny his request.

Council then passed the Planning Commission report with the exception of the Conditional Use Permit.

In the Park report, the McCook Work Ethic Camp removed dead trees, trimmed and cleaned the areas around both ball fields, as well as both the inside and the outside of the tennis courts. They also trimmed and cleaned around the outside of the maintenance building, the north shelter house and trimmed the bushes around the sculptures and then hauled away all the debris. The camp is scheduled for three more weeks of work, weather permitting.

John McLeod made a structure to hold a plaque about the history of the Rankin Addition which was made by McCook Lettering. It is located at the footbridge near the tennis courts. Also, Park Board Member Ann Besler had two corn hole games made for the park and were recently enjoyed by a Teammates group.

In School House news, John McLeod made a book holder for visitor sign-in. Photos are still being enlarged and Sam Jaeger had a sign made for over the front window and was installed by Mike Smith.

At the Cemetery, Dave Houghtelling and Bob and Virginia Roberts assisted Jim Jones with the disinterment of a baby girl to be laid to rest with other family members at another cemetery.

In the City Clerk/Treasurer report, Kandra Kinne informed Council the new fiscal year started on October 1, 2020. She also reported the Hazard Mitigation Plan for Quad Counties (Franklin, Furnas, Harlan and Red Willow) will be updated. The City is required to have someone attend the planning meeting. One is being held in Cambridge on Wednesday, October 28, 2020. Both Kinne and Mayor Gunderson said they planned to attend.

Mayor Gunderson said the Employee handbook has been completed and he is currently reviewing the changes.

In New Business, Council approved Resolution 2020-10-01 for the Nebraska Department of Transportation Annual Certification of Program Compliance.

Council Member Derek Raburn commented the Council should look into signage at Harvest Meadows to stop truck traffic in residential neighborhoods. Kinne said she would look into it.

Jessica Fisher, Tri Valley Health System CEO, reported the Annual Meeting will be held next Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 9:00 am at the Plaza. It will cost $10 to be a member. Covid restrictions and social distancing will be enforced.